top of page
Romsey Church.jpg

Romsey

WORSHIP

 

9:30am each Sunday

Holy Communion on the 4th

Sunday of the month.

SERVICES

 

Our Ministers takes services on

a roster basis during each month.

Other services are taken by 

a guest preacher or

the Lay Worship Leaders

LOCATION

 

Romsey Uniting Church
25 Pohlman Street
Romsey VIC 3434

Christian Meditation Group.jpg

activities

 

Romsey Uniting Church Adult FellowshipThe Romsey UCAF is a small group of ladies. We have 10 meetings during the year beginning February through to November. Held at 1.30 on the second Tuesday in the month. Our Annual General Meeting is held in November.
 

PRESIDENT/SECRETARY: Jeni Clampit  |  Ph: 5429 5480  |  E: jeniferclampit@bigpond.com
 

TREASURER: Carol Toy | 5429 1305

 

Our meetings consist of a short devotional usually taken from the UCAF Network; the business meeting is followed by the activity organized and finish with afternoon tea. At each meeting we have a collection for the Fellowship of the Least Coin.

Further information can be obtained from Jeni Clampit at the above number.

History of Romsey Uniting Church

 

Presbyterians
The Lancefeld-Romsey Presbyterian Church was established in 1861. 
The Rev WA Lind was inducted and served the Presbyterian Churches in Romsey and Lancefeld for eighteen years. Before this the Presbyterians in Lancefeld, Romsey and Rochford had been cared for by itinerant ministers. Rev Lind also conducted services at Bolinda, Duckholes (North 
Monegeeta), Springfeld, Newham and Rochford.
Foundation Stone of the frst manse was laid on March 12th, 1862 on a two acre land grant on the northern slope of Melbourne Hill (where the daffodil/garlic farm is). 

 

Romsey Congregation
In 1863 the Romsey congregation applied for a grant of land for the 
purpose of building a church and this was granted on May 20th, 1864. The 
church was opened and dedicated in July 1865. The cost was £800. 
The Presbytery of Melbourne compiled a communion roll at first of seventeen names which soon increased to fifty one, most joining by certifcate from Scottish and Irish Churches
Mr Peter Mitchell, whose descendants are part of the present congregation, was Secretary of the Building Committee and he inspired members with energy, faith and courage. The church building was built of local bluestone quarried on his property. 
Peter Mitchell served for fifty years as Secretary/Treasurer.
In 1873 a Bell-Tower with bell was erected on the top of the façade of the church (the bell is no longer in use). 
Major renovations were carried out in 1880 – the old windows were replaced with beautiful stained glass designs.

 

Later events - Romsey
During 1976 the Vestry was added to the Romsey church building and a new Kitchen, Meeting Room and Toilets were built in 1980’s. During 2006, 8 cypress trees were removed from the western boundary of the church property. This opened up the rear of the church property to become a more usable area which has been developed into a social space.

Your details were sent successfully!

bottom of page